The monster.... dreams...

Hello there GosAdd,
another little update about How to catch a monster.

Vulture has just posted an article: Ryan has hired a dream expert for his actors.

Ok ok... I know  Ryan is a weird guy but this is ...really weird because I wonder what kind of movie he has made (or is making as we don't know if the movie is ready or what).
On the IMDb site I've also read if the movie has some cartoons in it. Yes cartoons!


Saoirse Ronan said the analyst was a woman named Greta. The actors had to write a letter each night, something along the lines of, "Dear inner self, if it is your will, reveal to me in a dream tonight what my character's relationship is to this other character" and then they let their subconscious provide the answers.

In the interview Saoirse says:
"We would come in the next day to discuss our dreams with each other, and act them out. I'd tell Greta, 'Listen, I don't know what this is, but I was doing this last night, and then this person popped up [in my dream]' and she'd make sense out of it. And that was our rehearsal"

She goes on saying that sharing their dreams "it made us become very close. It was a very new method for me, because all of a sudden, Ryan was encouraging us to incorporate our own personalities into our characters, how you feel about things, what your anxieties are, and things like that."

And she also says a little more about her character Rat:

Why Rat??? Because she kind of lives like a rat. She lives in this house with her grandmother (Belladonna played by Barbara Steels), and her grandmother's a hoarder, and there's lots of man-made tunnels within the house, because there's so much memorabilia that the grandmother's collected over the years. And I had a pet rat, Nick.

She had to choose a rat (now Ryan is really really weird...) between few "pets".

"Gosling was the expert collaborator you'd expect him to be, allowing for improvisation, and getting everyone psyched to shoot the same scene in different locations. It kind of felt like a guerrilla-style filmmaking experience. We'd learn our scenes the night before, and then he'd tell us to just forget about that, and just chat. I found it very brave, for him to have so much trust in his cast."

Honestly, I don't know what to expect from this movie... Surely, a very surreal one now.

Stay Gos
Ale

CONVERSATION

4 Say your word:

  1. I'm getting more and more interested and excited to see this film. I think Ryan has been influenced by Derek Cianfrance. We know how much he admires his style of filmmaking where the actors are encouraged to basically ignore the script.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. And also by Malick who had no script at all... But I do think this will be Ryan at 100%

      Elimina
  2. Anonimo6:46 PM

    Well this's really weird! but whatever i'll pray it turns out in a good way

    RispondiElimina