Ryan's Quotes

ryan's  QuotesHome<>


- March 2013: I've been doing it too much. I've lost perspective on what I'm doing. I think it's good for me to take a break and reassess why I'm doing it and how I'm doing it. And I think this is probably a good way to learn about that. I need a break from myself as much as I imagine the audience does.

- 2011: I always wanted to make a violent John Hughes movie. I love John Hughes movies. I love 'Pretty in Pink'. But I always thought if there were head-smashing in it it'd be a better movie.

- 2011 About taking NWR at Disneyland: I tried to trick him into going on some rides at Disneyland. Basically I tried to trick him into going on the Tower of Terror because I convinced him that the elevator took you up to the ride, so once you got to the top, you could get out of the elevator and we would get on the ride and he would just wait up top. But the elevator is the ride. That’s the catch. So I took him on. And [laughs] there’s a picture of him [laughs] screaming for his life. And when it was over, all he could say for two hours was, ‘I can’t feel my legs.

- 2011 First date with Nicolas Winding Refn: We eventually had a meeting and he wouldn’t look at me or talk to me and he seemed very bored. It eventually felt like a date that was going horribly wrong. It turns out Nicolas was sick and was on American medication and he was high [laughs]. He asked if I could take him home, basically it was the stage where I wasn’t getting anything and we should just call it. We got in the car and it was an awkward drive home, we didn’t know what to say to each other, so I just turned up the music. REO Speedwagon’s I Can’t Fight This Feeling Any More came on, and I wasn’t sure, but out of the corner of my eye I saw him singing at the top of his lungs. Then he said, ‘I got the movie. It’s about a man who drives around Los Angeles listening to pop music.

- About Lars and  the Real Girl: When I first heard of the idea I though it was funny, but there’s no way it can hold up for an entire film. But I was wrong - I was crying by the end of the script. I’d been waiting to read a script like that my whole life; I didn’t want it to end. I read it on Saturday and was committed on Monday. The great thing about Nancy’s (writer, Nancy Oliver) writing is that everything is so clearly laid out for you. The characters are so clearly defined yet but at the same time there is all this room for you to be creative

- Cannes 2010 (About Blue Valentine): It was just Derek being a voyeur. [We improvised] and he filmed everything. He filmed me throwing up. He filmed Michelle peeing three times. He filmed me picking up dog poop. We lived in that house, basically, as though we were married in the country. We bought presents; we wrapped them. We baked the birthday cake. We had Christmas

- About Darfur 2008; [The children looked at me] Not like I was just some actor from Hollywood who was there to have an experience. They looked at me like I was somebody who could really do something. And I didn’t consider myself in that way. I still can see the way they looked at me

- About The Giving Tree (Book): That book is so fucked up; that story’s the worst. I mean, at the end the tree is a stump and the old guy just sitting on him; he’s just used him to death, and you’re supposed to want to be the tree? Fuck you. You be the tree. I don’t want to be the tree

- Remembering the MMC Times: Disney had a meeting with me, and they were like, ”You’re not Disney material. We’re gonna kick you off the show if you say anything sexual again.” I’m f—-ing 12. All I care about is sex! How can I not talk about it? I don’t know what they expected.’

- I've learned it's important not to limit yourself. You can do whatever you really love to do, no matter what it is.

- I think the one thing I love most about being an adult is the right to buy candy whenever and wherever I want.

- I always wanted to entertain. When I was 6, a scrawny, scrawny kid, I'd get in my red speedo and do muscle moves. I actually thought I was muscular. I didn't know everyone was laughing at me.

- All my characters are me. I'm not a good enough actor to become a character. I hear about actors who become the role and I think 'I wonder what that feels like'. Because for me, they're all me. I relate to these characters because aspects of their personality are like me. And I just turn up the parts of myself that are them and turn down the parts that aren't.

- Gene Wilder is my Marlon Brando. Gene Wilder will break your heart and make you laugh at the same time. And that's deep. There's something really profound about what he's able to do. It's transcendent. It's everything. He gives you everything at once and you have to decide what you feel about it.

- I mean, God bless "The Notebook", it introduced me to one of the great loves (Rachel McAdams) of my life. But, people do Rachel and me a disservice by assuming we were anything like the people in that movie. Rachel and my love story is a hell of a lot more romantic than that.

- If I eat a huge meal and I can get the girl to rub my belly, I think that’s about as romantic as I can think of.

I don't even think of myself as particularly good looking, and not at all a typical kind of Hollywood leading man sort of actor.

Sometimes I think that the one thing I love most about being an adult is the right to buy candy whenever and wherever I want.

- I don't like to be entertaining. I don't like the feeling of being entertaining. If there was a musical or a comedy that was not just for entertainment but was rooted in something I could relate to on a real level, then I think I would do it.

- Ryan as a kid: I also stood in the middle of the street trying to get hit by cars, not because I wanted to die, but I wanted to be where the cars were.

- About choosing a movie: There's always those 'Blair Witch Projects' that haunt you. The idea that you could make a little movie, and you could make it the way you want to make it, and people will still want to see it. People will want to see it for what it is, not for the way it's marketed.

- About the ghost in his house when he was a kid: He just sat. And I knew from a very young age that he was a ghost, too. He scared me. I told my mother, but she couldn’t see him. Nobody could. And I learned to live with that. I had to. Then, a few years later, she thought she saw him, then almost right away my cousin saw him, and then my uncle. And we were outta there in fairly short order

 

CONVERSATION

0 Say your word:

Posta un commento